Carnegie Mellon
Undergraduate Program
Department of Chemistry For Current Majors
Degrees and Other Programs
Undergraduate Research
For Prospective Majors
For Current Majors
Undergraduate Awards
Small Undergraduate Research Grants (SURG)
Publications Co-authored by Faculty and Students
Where Chemistry Graduates Go
Student Advisory Committee
Site Index
Contact Us

Undergrad Home
Chemistry Dept. Home

The Chemistry Department offers its majors many choices in completing an undergraduate degree and it is important that a strong advising program be in place. Chemistry majors at Carnegie Mellon have three levels of advising. Most majors will interact with an Overall Advisor, a Class Advisor, and a Research Advisor. Advisors are key academics who will get to know you, help clarify your goals, follow your progress, point out special opportunities, discuss post-graduation plans, write letters of recommendation, and nominate you for various awards.

The Overall Advisor (also known as the Point Person or Graduation Advisor)
This advisor is the Department's designated expert on curricular and academic advising. This person will follow following the progress of each student and certifying that they have fulfilled the University and Departmental graduation requirements. This advisor is the person who also will:

Be available to discuss courses, schedules, and resolve scheduling conflicts.
Approve add/drop forms throughout the semester.
Approve courses that can be taken at other universities in the summer, or at local universities during the year.
Consult with the MCS Associate Dean about making any academic actions (probation, suspensions, drops) that are appropriate according to University rules.
Advise seniors about graduation status (missing requirements, etc.)
On request, write letters of recommendations for students

Class Advisor
Class advisors are faculty members who will provide advice and counciling to students about matters that generally are specific to sophomore, junior and senior classes. These advisors meet students periodically to answer questions, make recommendations, and discuss future plans.

Research Advisor (Mentor)
This advisor advises students on issues related to their research projects and specific after-graduation plans. Normally it is the person with whom the student carries out research. This advisor will be a key person in assisting you in applying to and getting in an appropriate graduate school.

Visit the Frequently Asked Questions page.

Some topics you may want to discuss with your advisor:
Internship and Study Abroad
Choosing a Degree

Carnegie Mellon University | Mellon College of Science | Department of Chemistry | Undergraduate Home

Department of Chemistry
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
(412) 268-2318