John P. McGann
Carnegie Mellon University
4400 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
(412) 268-9175 (office)
(203) 520-1167 (cell)
2006 - Present Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA
Ph.D. candidate in Chemistry
Advisor: Tomasz Kowalewski
Research area: Processing, characterization and device implementation of highly ordered nanoporous semi-graphitic materials derived from pyrolyzed self-assembled block copolymer precursors
2001-2006 Colgate University, Hamilton, NY
B.A. in Chemistry
Minor in Music
Advisor: Richard G. Geier III
Research area: Synthesis of core--modified porphyrinic marcrocycles.
August 2009 Best Poster, American Chemical Society: Physical Chemistry Division, Washington DC
2008 Bayer Fellowship in Polymer Chemistry, Pittsburgh, PA
2007 McGregory Fellowship in Chemistry, Colgate University, Hamilton, NY
Internship - Bayer BMS, Pittsburgh, PA
May 2009 - July 2009
Prepared a comprehensive marketing report in the field of advanced polymer coatings as well as synthesized new polyurethane-based smart coatings.
May 2010 - July 2010
Developed carbon nanotubes for composites and coatings in both functionalization and advanced characterization.
Collaboration – Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Dayton, OH
June 2008 – Present
A joint project that focused on the development of new anode materials for lithium-ion batteries. Required frequent trips to the Air Force Base for device assembly and characterization.
· O'Brien, A. Y.; McGann, J. P.; Geier, G. R. Dipyrromethane plus dipyrromethanedicarbinol routes to an electron deficient meso-substituted phlorin with enhanced stability, J Org Chem, 2007, 72, 4084-4092.
· McGann, J. P., Kim, E. K., McCullough, L., Matyjaszewski, K., Kowalewski, T., Porous Carbon Materials from Block Copolymer Precursors for Supercapacitor Applications, Materials Research Society National Meeting, San Francisco, CA, April 2010.
· Young, T., Balliet, C., Incorvati, J., Daniels, E., Smilgies, D.-M., McCullough, R. D., Kowalewski, K., Molecular Packing Defects in Regioregular Poly(3-hexylthiophenes) and Their Impact on the Nanostructure of Bulk Heterojunction Solar Cells, Materials Research Society, San Francisco, CA, April 2010. (Substitute Presenter)
· Kim, E.K., Zhong, M., McGann, J. P. Matyjaszewski, K., Whitacre, J. F., Kowalewski, T., Porous Carbon Materials from Block Copolymer Precursors for Supercapacitor Applications, ACS National Meeting, Boston, MA, August 2010.
· McGann, J. P., McCullough, L. A., Bier, M. E., Matyjaszewski, K., Kowalewski, T., Mass Spectroscopic Studies of Porous Nanographenes from Block Copolymer Precursors, ACS National Meeting, Washington, DC August 2009.
· McGann, J. P., Welch, Z. R., Matyjaszewski, K., Yaron, D. J., Kowalewski, T., Modeling the Effects of Edge Substituents on the Electric Properties of Graphenes, ACS National Meeting, Washington, DC, August 2009.
· McGann, J. P., Kim, E. K., McCullough, L. A., Matyjaszewski, K., Kowalewski, T., Porous Nanographenes with the Nanostructure Templated by Self-Assembling Block Copolymer Precursors, ACS National Meeting, Washington, DC, August 2009.
· McGann, J. P., Kowalewski, T., Porous Nanographenes Derived From Self Assembling Macromolecular Precursors, Bayer BMS, Pittsburgh, PA, June 2009.
· Kowalewski, T., McGann, J. P., Yaron, D., McCullough, L. A., Matyjaszewski, K., Nanocarbons with Tunable Electronic Structure from Well-Defined Copolymers Containing Polyacrylonitrile Prepared by Atom Transfer Radical Polymerization, Polymer Preprints, 2008, 49(2), 202.
· Aimi, J., McCullough, L. A., McGann, J., Kowalewski, T., Matyjaszewski, K., Synthesis of Poly(vinylacetylene) Block Copolymers as Precursors for Nanocarbon Materials, Polymer Preprints, 2008, 49 (2), 185-6.
· McGann, J. P., McCullough, L. A., Matyjaszewski, K., Kowalewski, T., Mass Spectroscopic Investigations of Nanostructured Carbon Derived from Poly(n-butyl acrylate)-b-polyacrylonitrile Copolymers, Polymer Preprints, 2008, 49 (2), 2008.
· McGann, J. P., Kowalewski, T., Yaron, D., Tunability of Electronic Structure in NanoCarbons Derived From Block Copolymer Precursors, Gordon Conference: Chemistry of Electronic Materials, Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, MA, July 2007.
· McGann, J. P., Kowalewski, T. Smilgies, D., GISAXS/GIWAXS Studies of Nanostructured Carbons Derived from Self-Assembling Macromolecular Precursors., Cornell High Energy Synchotron Source User Meeting, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, June 2007.
· McGann, J. P., Geier, G. R., Survey of two-step, one-flask reactions of 5,5-dimethyldipyrromethane with dipyrromethanecarbinol species bearing pentafluorophenyl substituents, ACS National Meeting, Atlanta, GA, March 2006.
· Tomek, Kowalewski, Eun Kyung Kim, John McGann, Krzysztof Matyjaszewski “Procedures for Development of Specific Capacitance in Carbon Structures” patent application submitted, 2010.
· Tomek, Kowalewski, Eun Kyung Kim, John McGann, Krzysztof Matyjaszewski “Procedures for Development of Specific Capacitance in Carbon Structures” Provisional, 2009.
· Electrical, chemical, mechanical, structural, X-ray characterization methods
· Proficient in AFM/SPM, MALDI-TOF MS,TGA, DSC, Raman, UV-Vis, IR, Adsorption, electrical measurements, HPLC
· Grazing Incidence X-ray Scattering: Cornell’s High Energy Synchrotron Source 1 week semi-annually for the past 4 years
· Polymer thin film preparation techniques: drop, spin coated, evaporation, zone (directional) casting
· Lithium-ion battery assembly and testing
· Computational modeling and data analysis using Matlab and Mathematica
· Synthesis of polymers using Atom Transfer Radical Polymerization (ATRP)
· Synthesis of large organic molecules