Skip Navigation.
Carnegie Mellon Department of Chemistry

Guide to Graduate Studies

Getting Oriented

University Student Services

The following brief summary of services will help you begin to get settled at Carnegie Mellon. For more detailed information regarding student services, please consult the university's graduate student website.

Cohon University Center

The Cohon University Center (CUC) houses a large variety of facilities, including recreational areas (pool, gymnasium, weight room, exercise classes); dining options; the University Store (textbooks, clothing, gifts), and Entropy (a convenience store).

Enrollment Services (“The Hub”)

The Hub is the central location for obtaining your ID, course registration, and other enrollment services. It is located in Warner Hall, Room 28A. Please see the Enrollment Services website for additional information such as the schedule of classes.

Housing Office

Located in Morewood Gardens E-Tower, the Housing Office (x8-2139) will furnish you with listings of rentals in the vicinity.

Payroll Office

Payroll is equipped to answer questions related to your paycheck (including some income tax questions) and is located at the CMUWorks Service Center at 4516 Henry St. Questions regarding your paycheck (income tax, etc.) should be directed initially to Tim Sager, Business Manager for the Chemistry Department, (x8-3343).

University Health Services

Located in the first floor of Morewood Gardens E-101 (x8-2157), this office can provide information regarding health insurance and offers a variety of basic medical care. Hours of operation are available on the University Health Services website.

Counseling and Psychological Services (CaPS)

Located in Morewood Gardens E-Tower, CaPS provides short-term counseling for stress, depression, anxiety, and other personal concerns and referrals to local psychologists and psychiatrists for continuing care. For emergencies after hours, a staff member can be reached by calling (412) 268-2922.

Campus Police (24 hr. service)

The number to call in case of emergency is x8-2323. Blue phones are also available in strategic locations around campus in case of emergency. More information is available on the University Police Deparment website.

This office also coordinates a shuttle and an escort service for students working late to ensure your safety on campus. Call the Escort Service at 8-RIDE or (412) 268-7433.

Office of International Education (OIE)

The Foreign Student Advisors, on the third floor of Warner Hall, are important contacts to assist you with questions about visas. OIE also organizes the International Student Orientation held during the second week of August which international students are required to attend. You can contact them by email

Intercultural Communication Center (ICC)

The ICC provides language training and testing for non-native speakers of English at Carnegie Mellon. Non-native English speakers (NNES) take the International TA Test as soon as the ICC recommends based on TOEFL scores and interactions with the ICC. The ITA Test results determine whether the student is required to participate in ICC programs to meet either the departmental English proficiency requirement or to satisfy university requirements as a TA. Recommendations for training, where needed, are highly individualized and often combine workshops and/or tutoring. More details about ICC programs and policies are available on the ICC website.

See Appendix A for additional Highlighted Resources for Graduate Students.